The MD Anderson Cord Blood Bank creates a lifesaving product from something that was once considered medical waste.
Umbilical cord blood is the blood that remains in the placenta and umbilical cord after a baby is born. This blood contains stem cells, which can be used to treat patients with many life-threatening diseases, including cancer. Learn more about cord blood banking.
As a public cord blood bank, we collect voluntary donations from mothers at several Houston-area hospitals. Collecting cord blood poses no danger to either the mother or the baby. Our inventory is available to transplant facilities worldwide for patients who require stem cell transplantation.
Our collaborating hospitals, where cord blood bank team members are on-site:
- Memorial Hermann Southwest - 832-603-2418
- Memorial Hermann Medical Center - 832-623-4730
- Memorial Hermann Memorial City - 713-242-3858
- Memorial Hermann The Woodlands 713-897-5764
- St. Joseph Medical Center - 713-356-7936
- The Woman’s Hospital of Texas - 713-791-7386
- St. John’s Hospital (Detroit) - 313)-642-9750
If you're interested in donating your child's cord blood, you may contact the Cord Blood Bank or our on-site cord blood collection team at one of the hospitals above:
Toll Free: 866-869-5111
Help save the life of a patient in need. Donate cord blood.
Due to our response to COVID-19, all blood donations at MD Anderson
Blood Donor Center locations are being held by appointment only.